Tag: Chevalier Avant Garde
14. Kuhrye-oo – Give in (For the Fame) (Boody & Le1f Remix)
13. Kontravoid – Silent Visions (Live Action Fezz Remix)
12. MYTHS – Horizon (Grimes & Majical Cloudz Remix)
11. Jenocide – Street Rhythm (Jaguar Knight remix)
10. The Arcade Fire – The Suburbs (Ripperton Edit)
9. Cyclist – Whatcha Got (Kilowatt and the Kay-Gees Remix)
8. Bravestation – Signs of the Civilized (ev ree wuhn Remix)
7. Katja Ruge – Baby You Were Great (Chevalier Avant Garde Remix)
6. Rioux – Espanto-ft. Crux (Phèdre Remix)
5. Frank Ocean – Thinkin Bout You (Ryan Hemsworth Bootleg)
4. Karneef – Swimming (Touchy Mob Remix)
3. Chevalier Avant Garde – Haircut (Octo Octa Remix)
2. Hermetic – Portlandish (Jay Arner Remix)
1. Light Games (Maya Postepski of Austra Remix)
And so begins our year-end countdown. 2012 really kicked things up a notch, didn’t it? Here are our best music videos of the year:
20. Desire – Tears From Heaven
Directed by Alberto Rossini
19. Renny Wilson – Could’ve It Been Me?
Directed by Mike Robertson
18. Chevalier Avant Garde – Young
Directed by Mitchell Stafiej
17. Karneef – Bring You Back
Directed by Thom Gillies
16. Panda Teeth – Arms & Hands
Directed by Angus Borsos
15. Moon King – Only Child
Directed by Craig Orrett
14. DKMD – Androide (Replique)
Directed by David Kristian and Marie Davidson
13. Dresden Dresses – NS (d)05
Directed by Antoine Lahaie
12. Diamond Rings – Runaway Love
Directed by Sébastien Landry and Baz
11. Kool Music – Running Back to Everyone
Directed by Emily Kai Bock
Femminielli – A Que Quieres Jugar
Chevalier Avant Garde – For Phaedra
Pink Playground – She’s a Mask of You
Automelodi – Ikabe
We’ve been late in writing about this, but the amazing Electric Voice Records released a compilation back in April and it’s well well worth your purchase. You can buy it digitally, or on LP here. Here are a few of our favourites, but really you’ve got to check out the whole compilation, which also includes tracks from Ariel Pink, R. Stevie Moore, D’eon, and Jef Barbara.
Katja Ruge – Baby You Were Great (Chevalier Avant Garde Remix)
Very impressive remix from Montreal genius-band (most apt description) Chevalier Avant Garde.
Yacht Club – Flash (Single Edit)
Chevalier Avant Garde – Young
Tonight’s the first night of Pop Montreal, there’s not as much happening, so we’ve only got a few things to recommend.
We can help you plan out your whole Pop Montreal already – we’ve noted all the best in dark electronic pop that’s playing the festival on our concert calendar.
Here’s a spazzy remix of, everybody’s favorites, Chevalier Avant Garde‘s track Haircut.
So, due to some massive oversight, we were not asked to be judges in this year’s Polaris Prize. That, or the ballot was lost in the mail. We need to ensure that Canadian electro music is properly represented, so in an effort to influence the judges’ decision, we have made our top five albums eligible to win this year.
Handsome Furs – Sound Kaptial
Handsome Furs – Memories of the Future
Tenderness – The Axe is Ready at the Tree
Tenderness – We Lay Our Broken World in Sorrow at Your Feet
And the winner is:
It’s taken us entirely too long to get to this one considering how comprehensively we agree that Chevalier Avant Garde‘s Heterotopias is one of the best albums of the year. Foucauldian electro-pop doesn’t get much better than this. The album begins on a high with the uptempo strut of Over The Fountain, a gloomy, hooky love song that has the feel of Depeche Mode and Cocteau Twins while sounding like neither. The more sedate tracks are equally compelling, particularly the reverb-drenched Young, and the gorgeous closer What’s Your Number Girl? The Montreal based group have been touring in Europe of late but hopefully we’ll hear from them again on these shores in the not so distant future, these guys are too good to miss. Heterotopias is available to download or stream here.