1. Ambrose – Hourglass Sands
2. Motem – Quirk Pop
3. Homeshake – Dynamic Meditation
4. Magic Island – Baby Blu
5. Sing Leaf – High John
6. A Sacred Cloud – Be Good or Be Dead
7. Nostalgic Home Highways – Interior Astronaut
8. Ylang Ylang – Temporary Opalescent Death
9. Violence – Halo
10. Kashka – Never Had It
Few things get us more excited than a new release on Visage Musique. Violence already put out one of the best EPs at the start of the year, but now we can expect Erlebnis, their first full-length out soon. Nice bookending.
Halo is the first single from that LP, and has a real nice, slowed-down, late-80′s Chicago feel to it.
Violence – Façades
Every so often a band comes out of the woodwork that so captures the spirit of what Silent Shout is all about that it’s instant love-at-first-listen. More and more over the past few years, those bands have come from Montréal record label Visage Musique. Rarely will they add a new band to their roster, so it’s a momentous occasion when they do. It’s thrilling to discover a new act as good and fully formed as Violence, their rookie starting point guard.
Ottawa outfit Violence’s (pronounced the French way) beautiful take on minimal synth music expertly leads you through a range of emotions. It’s equally appropriate for when being bombarded by snow as it is for sunny afternoons spent in the park. People will break up at the beginning of one song, then start making out at the chorus. That isn’t to say the band is confused about what they’re trying to do—this is a decidedly confident debut EP. These are masterfully arranged and intricate synth-pop songs that evoke goths dancing to Deux in a 1980’s Parisian basement, while simultaneously sounding utterly timeless.
This post first appeared as part of our New Zero Canada column on Berlin’s No Fear of Pop.
1. Galaxius Mons – Cup My Aching Mind (Crazy Epitaph)
2. Great Marble – In the Air
3. Ken Park – He Says I’m an Island
4. Blue Hawaii – Try to Be
5. Petra Glynt – Sour Paradise
6. Jake Finne – Black Panthers
7. Negative Beach – Vacant Home (Demo)
8. Violence – Façades
9. Vierance – Beaches
10. Doldrums – Anomaly
11. Crowns – HLYLND
12. Bliss Club – Breeze Punk 2
13. Potpourri of Pearls – James and the Cold Gun (Kate Bush cover)
14. Rakam – Le Jazz Dans la Rue
15. Coxkarnn – Blud for a Sec
16. Jeremy Greenspan – Sirius Shake